Vegetable Puree (leftover Vegetables After Making Vegetable Stock)
Submitted by: Plyric | Source: Some from internet, all modified, and some of my own creation
- Servings: varies by recipe
- Prep Time: 15-60 minutes depending on the recipe
- Cook Time: 15-30 minutes depending on the recipe
- Total Time: 30-90 minutes depending on the recipe
|Listed In Each Recipe Below:|
1) Mash down the veggies, season them and prepare as a thick stew. Maybe add some beans to give it back a bit of texture and increase protein. Adding things such as soy sauce (tamari or miso paste are even better) or tomato puree would help increase flavour.
2) Fry the veggies (also mashed/ partially mashed) into vegetable cakes, making sure to fully drain the veggies first. Adding a bit of whole wheat flour and/or egg will help the cakes bind together.
3) Mix the leftover veggies with cheese, stuff them into bell peppers, and roast them. This would work well if the veggies were combined with lentils (try cooking with tomatoes/tomato puree and a little lemon juice) or rice/couscous.
4) Use the veggies right away as the base veggies for a soup, with more fresh veggies added. As the older veggies tend to mush, they will thicken the soup.
5) Quick freeze the veggies. Later, add some chopped onion and canned or fresh corn, peas, and carrots and make turkey pot pies.
6) Add some diced tomatoes to the veggies, bring to a quick boil, strain and add over a simple pasta for a quick lunch.
7) Use the veggies for the perfectly made Ziplock Bag cheese omelet. (Credit for this idea goes to Pot Scrubber at http://www.food.com/recipe/old-widow-walkers-ziploc-omelettes-132052)
8) Puree the veggies with a bit of salt & pepper and spread a thin layer of the paste inside of a croissant roll dough before rolling it up to bake. Really yummy w/homemade garlic butter.
9) Dice up the veggies, season with soy sauce, form them into patties and grill them, for a tasty veggie burger.
10) Puree and store in the freezer for future soups or chili.
11) Blend the left over veggies with water and a couple of dates to add flavor into a smoothie. This is an awesome alkaline drink that can have many other nutrients added. There are many nonsugar ways to make the drink an enjoyable smoothie.
12) Use the veggies to make a healthy Shepard's Pie.
13) Vegetable Cream Cheese: Blend 8 oz softened cream cheese in a mixer bowl until creamy. Add the veggies, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, and hot pepper sauce to taste. Scrape out of mixer bowl with a spatula and store in a covered bowl in refrigerator for 24 hours for the flavors to mingle. Serve on toasted bagels, as an omelet filling, with crudites or crackers, etc.
14) Add curry to some veggies and serve over brown rice, top with yogurt.
15) Add veggies over cooked pasta in a casserole dish. Top with grated Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Bake until the top is golden and bubbling. Serve with some slices of garlic baguette.
16) Veggie Paste Sandwich: Take some slices of freshly baked Foccacia, French, or Italian bread, spread some margarine on them, and sprinkle evenly with garlic powder or minced garlic. Wrap the slices in aluminum foil. Bake in the oven at 350° for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and unwrap the foil. Spread the slices with a very thin, even layer of non-fructose mayonnaise, no more than 1/2 tablespoon per slice. Place thin slices of Kraft Philadelphia Light cream cheese, Monterray Jack Cheese, or Goat Cheese, on top of the slices. Layer some thin slices of cooked chicken or canned tuna on top of the cheese. Cook the bread slices in the oven, un-covered, for 5-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Take out of the oven. Spread with some warmed-up pureed leftover veggies sprinkled with paprika on top. Top the mixture with avocado, and close the slices together to form the sandwich.
17) Healthy Nacho Dip in 5 minutes: Spoon about 1/2 cup of the pureed veggies into a microwable bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of non-fructose Jalepeno Cheese spread. Microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes depending on the microwave. Mix the 2 sauces together well. Top with a few thin slices of fresh avocado. Lay the bowl on a plate and surround with nachos of choice. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt over the nachos, and serve immediately.